Facebook has killed "Sanstrom Laxness"

Here you can find news concerning the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.

My Friends;

As I’m sure each of you are aware, as we get older times have changed. Identity theft is a growing problem worldwide. In the 40 years since I’ve been playing games and otherwise enjoying myself on the internet, I’ve used a name created out of my mind…. that’s right Sanstrom Laxness is not real…laughs, big shocker I know. This was one of the smartest things I’ve ever done in my sometime life of making mistakes. Never back then would anyone, myself included thought that ID theft would become what it is today. The years have proven me correct and now Identity theft, broadly defined as everything from purloining a credit card number to misusing bank or other accounts to full-blown impersonation, is commonplace now.

The United States Justice Department's National Crime Victimization Survey found last year that close to 3 percent of all households were victimized during a single six-month period of the year. To put this in perspective, only 3 percent of households were burglarized during all of last year. Yet most people take more steps to keep burglars out than to thwart financial crooks.

Recently, someone reported to Facebook that the name I’ve been using is a fake name and should be reviewed for policy violations. Now, I’m being told that unless I verify that the name “Sanstrom Laxness” is the name I use in everyday life and I also submit documentation that this is my real name, my Facebook account will be locked and deleted as of the 14th of this month.

This means that unless I trust the administrators of Facebook and that my account won’t be “Hacked” now or in the future, all the games I play online that are somehow associated with Facebook will not be accessible any longer. This means that games that I’ve played for years such as Family Farm Seaside, Township, The Tribez, Toy Blast, Hay day and a few dozen others. Games that I’ve spent hours leveling up, making friends and enjoying time with will no longer be able to be played. This also means that any groups I belong to under that account will not be accessible. This also means that the SL Coast Guard Facebook page will be closed.

I’m sorry, but as time and history have proven…that’s a trust I’m not willing to place in the owners of Facebook or others. They have already restricted the account unless the name Sanstrom Laxness will no longer have a presence on Facebook and the name has also been blocked on Messenger. I am not willing to use my real name on the internet nor should I as time has proven over and over.

Those of you that know me in real life will still be able to reach me via cellphone text or email. This change only effects Facebook and Messenger. So on behalf of Sanstrom Laxness I bid you farewell from internet freedom.
Admiral Sanstrom Laxness
SLCG Commandant
Sanstrom Laxness

That's is sad to hear. :cry: I wish there's some other solutions to remedy this situation.
Digithaze

you can create a new page with same name but make it similer to a fan page and state in the about me section that the account is for an avi in second life and theyll allow you to keep it.
CPO PhskyoWulf
Plank Holder of Station Byron Bay
Duty Station: RTC
Call Sign: 3348
PhskyoWulf

It may soon kill all of us who have a FB account under our game names.
RDML Ken Whitfield
Chief Of Staff
Keneth80 Whitfield

They Killed My rl account a few years ago because I wouldnt send them a copy of my Drivers license or Birth certifricate. So I just use my Hubby's and even that is seldom ...I keep seeing things that just make me mad...lol
Brooklynn Savira

Wow... same exact thing happened to me a while back. I resolved it by changing my name "Idorue Weatherly" to one that included my real last name, "Idorue Grace" and they seemed happy with that. I know, seems stupid, but maybe that's one way to resolve it and keep all that's associated with the account.
Name: Idorue Weatherly
Callsign: SLCG - 276
SLCG Station: HQ - ACOS G1
idorue

I read an article, about 2 years ago in an interview with the creator of Facebook that Facebook is one of the most insecure websites in the world. I too would not hesitate to take the same route as you Commandant. I use a partial real name. Bob, my RL nick name and a made up last name, in all my internet dealings. Many of my real life friends do not even know my real life name. I am a very private sort of person. LOL

Anyway, I completely agree with your decision and encourage others to do the same.
Bob Garnet
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Executive Officer - Kania
Prospector Garnet

Prospector Garnet wrote:I read an article, about 2 years ago in an interview with the creator of Facebook that Facebook is one of the most insecure websites in the world. I too would not hesitate to take the same route as you Commandant. I use a partial real name. Bob, my RL nick name and a made up last name, in all my internet dealings. Many of my real life friends do not even know my real life name. I am a very private sort of person. LOL

Anyway, I completely agree with your decision and encourage others to do the same.

I know you're real first name. It's "Prospector".
RDML Ken Whitfield
Chief Of Staff
Keneth80 Whitfield

Return to U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary News